søndag den 16. december 2012

Tour de France Nostalgia Revisited: A series.

As far as I am concerned, the sport of cycling peaked in the 1990's. That might have as much to do with the way I saw cycling back then, the sheer ambiance of the events, the doping scandals, or any other non-sports-related factors. In any event, my nostalgic views on the sport of cycling was the most important reason why I stopped writing for cycling magazines on a freelance basis back in 2004 - if the sport is a purely nostalgic venture for you, you're bound to become a cranky old bastard. And you should avoid that.

In the blogosphere, however, anything goes. So today I will write a few words about the revisiting of a couple key moment from cycling's heyday in the 90's. Revisiting 90's cycling so thoroughly is possible thanks to Chick Smith's YouTube channel; I believe he is already a well-known and liked character among cycling nostalgics for uploading that much classic cycling. I certainly appreciate it, and have made good use of it.

It would be impossible to give an overview of the impressions from back then that you relive when watching all these highlights, but let me just give you a few of my thoughts about some key events of the 90's Tour de France experience, revisited now, nearly twenty years on. I will write some blog posts under this header; do let me know if there is any single event you would like me to focus on.


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar